Top 10 Motorcycle Accident Injury Causes: Lack of Helmets Common in Fatalities
Motorcycles have become increasingly popular over the past several years. More people are riding bikes. With that increase in riders, an increase in motorcycle accident related deaths and injuries has followed. Texas, a state that does not require riders to don helmets, has a very serious problem when it comes to motorcycle accident related deaths and fatalities. In 2011, there were 491 people killed in motorcycle accidents in Texas. Another 5,960 motorcyclists sustained serious injuries in motorcycle wrecks and 1,943 sustained other injuries. Of the 491 motorcyclists killed in accidents, over half were not wearing helmets at the time of the accident.
Just riding a motorcycle carries with it some scary implications. The statistics are not in the favor of bikers. According to MotorcycleAccidents.org:
- Those riding on a motorcycle are thirty-five times more likely to die in an accident than those in passenger vehicles;
- Over 10% of all roadway accidents involve motorcycles;
- The leading cause of death in motorcycle accidents in head injuries;
- Motorcyclists that do not wear helmets are 40% more likely to die of a head injury that those that do wear helmets;
- Crash fatality risk is reduced by an estimated 37% by wearing a helmet.
There are many things that can cause a motorcycle accident. However, some causes are consistent. Some of the most common causes of motorcycle accident injuries and fatalities include:
- Bad weather and/or roadway conditions;
- Failing to use a turn signal by either other motorists or motorcyclistsl;
- Ignoring traffic flow, patters, and speed;
- Failing to obey traffic signs;
- Inexperienced motorcyclists or other motorist on the roadway;
- Driving while intoxicated on drugs or alcohol;
- Vehicle, tire, and helmet defects;
- Vehicles pulling out in front of motorcyclists when performing left-hand turns; and
- Wrong way driving accidents.
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident or lost a loved one in a motorcycle wreck, contact the experienced Texas Motorcycle Accident Injury Lawyers at Hill Law Firm. The attorneys at Hill Law Firm have handled motorcycle accidents involving defective tires, defective helmets, defective motorcycle components, drunk drivers, driver inattention, and other forms of motorist negligence. If you have questions, contact us today for a free legal consultation.