Greyhound Bus Crash in Ohio: Bus Maintenance Investigated
Millions of people ride commercial motorcoaches every year. Companies such as Greyhound, Coach USA, Tornado, Americanos, Turimex, Megabus, and others receive compensation from people every day to drive them, safely, to and from destinations in Mexico, the United States, and Canada. This industry has seemingly boomed over the past two decades. As the number of bus companies and riders have increase, so have the number of accidents.
A recent accident in Ohio has again highlighted the dangers of the commercial busing industry. The accident in Ohio happened when a Greyhound bus driver lost control, left the roadway and his bus rolled. At least 35 passengers reported injuries from the accident. It is a miracle that nobody lost their life in this very serious accident. Investigators are still trying to determine what caused the accident and have been checking the maintenance of the bus and examining component parts like the brakes.
In recent years, there have been dozens of tragic bus accidents including the following:
- September 2013: Thirty five people were injured when a Greyhound bus left the roadway and rolled over on Interstate 75 in Ohio.
- August 2013: At least 50 people were injured when a chartered casino bus overturned on Interstate 210 near Los Angeles, California.
- April 2013: Three people were killed and dozens injured when a charter bus carrying people to a casino rolled over in Irving, Texas. The final cause of the accident indicated that the driver was at fault. The driver had a long history of unsafe driving but was allowed to drive this bus anyway. The case was turned over to the Dallas County District Attorney’s office.
- January 2012: Fifteen people were injured when a Greyhound bus collided with a street sweeper in Oklahoma. According to the accident report, the driver of the bus did not see the street sweeper driver as she changed lanes.
- August 2011: 25 people were injured when a Greyhound bus roll over in Mt. Gretna, Pennsylvania. The westbound bus had stopped in Philadelphia and was headed for a stop in Columbus, Ohio, when it overturned.
- July 2010: Six people were killed and four critically injured in Fresno, Calif., when a Greyhound bus collided with a car and careened into a eucalyptus tree. The six dead included four women and two men. The bus driver was among the dead.
- May 2010: A Turimex passenger bus crashed fifty miles out of Laredo, sending dozens of people to the hospital. Three of them were airlifted and the rest were taken to area hospitals. Firm Partner, Justin Hill, represented one of the most seriously injured persons in this accident.
- March 2010: A tour bus carrying at least 35 people rolled over near Campbellton, Texas, killing two people and injuring more than a dozen. First Partner, Justin Hill, represented the families of both deceased passengers and many injured passengers.
There can be many causes for increase in recent bus accidents including poor maintenance, driver error, product defects, and other avoidable conditions. If you have been involved in a bus accident or lost a loved one as the result of a bus accident, call the Texas Bus Accident Injury Lawyers at Hill Law Firm today for a free legal consultation.